Old November 12th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Default News Blurb Heard on the BBC...

wrote:

snip
As far as fuel efficiency and building the "right" cars, there is no
reason why an American company cannot crank out plug-in electric
hybrid cars, using state-of-the-art electronics/chips and software,
and improved materials and battery technology. If any country on
earth could implement a better crash program to make carbon fiber
manufacturing, battery capacity, clean tiny hybrid engines, and
optimum management electronics for maximum range and utility, I'd be
surprised.

I fear that there may be intellectual property rights issues involving
advanced battery technology that for now is the province of Asian
concerns and is a real impediment to U.S. domestic development. Add
to that the nationwide disregard and often rejection of science and
technology priority and initiative in the last decade and it is no
surprise that we currently lack the capability to mount a program
that you suggest. At least McCain voiced support of a program to
develop a nuclear powered nationwide grid to support plug-in vehicles
and also showed some public support for NASA and space exploration;
Obama has been absolutely silent on space and has no real interest
in nuclear technology, and would probably be pressured into rejecting
it from pressure by certain interest groups. I am not a Republican,
but I fear for our future as a source of innovation and initiative
under the upcoming administration. I have thought of proposing an
email campaign to folks such as astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson
who is very strong on NASA and space exploration, to encourage
lobbying the new administration to strongly support space, tech r&d
and science at all levels.

Michael