Old August 15th 03, 08:25 AM
Roger Conroy

"Richard Hosking" wrote in message
. au...
No doubt this is an easy question, but is there a way of interfacing to

the
web via HF SSB/data?
I want to be able to do this from a remote location portable/backpack with
no mobile phone access and low power. The nearest infrastructure could be
several hundred km away
I could use amateur bands or possibly a commercial solution if available.
What would be the data format and where would I get more info on this?

Thanks
Richard

I'm aware of a service that provides e-mail on commercial HF frequencies to
safari camps in Botswana from a base in Johannesburg in South Africa. AFAIK
they use Pactor. Many of these camps are several hundred miles from the
nearest phone line.
(My cousin worked in some of the camps)

73 Roger ZR3RC