Old November 17th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Smokey Smokey is offline

Default WTB: FT-243 3885 KHz Crystal

I second K3HVG's assessment. MH is excellent.

Also, don't rule out grinding your own. I tried it as a novice in the 60s
and it never worked. Last winter I started playing around again with some
old FT-243s. Put a few drops of water on a piece of 0000 grit emery or
sandpaper laying on top of the glass from an old picture frame and, voila,
it actually worked! I've reground about 7 crystals successfully now. Very
satisfying. But be sure to use the technique described in an older
publication like Bill Orr's Radio Handbook or even one of the EARLY
Newington books.

Good luck.

WA9VLK

"k3hvg" wrote in message
news
HAMGUY wrote:
Wanted FT-243 3885 KHz crystal

Thanks for reading

---------------
HAMGUY

If you can find one of the original military test frequency crystals for
3885, that's fine. If not, I can recommend MH Crystals in Rancho
Cucamonga, CA. I've tried some of those miniature xtals stuffed inside
FT-243's and found that some kind of work, others don't. Also, its almost
impossible to use oscillator keying when you use them as they whoop and
stumble into oscillation (IF they oscillate, at all). MH uses a large
blank crystal in an HC-6 holder with FT-243 pins. I use them in the
BC-669, etc. which have high crystal current. They do just fine. The cost
is about $14 each. Just ask for the standard FT-243 spec with 32pf
capacitance.