Old November 17th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default TH-F6A No Audio with SMC-34 Speaker Mic

When I plug in the speaker mic to the TH-F6A I can transmit but no one can
hear audio from my radio. I have checked option 9 and sp.mic is selected as
the option for the speaker mic jack. Anyone have any ideas what the problem
could be?

I can think of at least three possible causes:

- A bad SMC-34 - maybe a defective mic cartridge or a broken wire
somewhere else.

- A bad speaker/mic jack in the TH-F6A

- A fault in the TH-F6A circuit which is supposed to provide a
current-limited DC bias voltage to the microphone.

The best way to narrow down whether it's the mic or the radio is to
use the field engineer's favorite approach: substitution. Try your
existing SMC-34 on someone else's TH-F6A and see if it works. Try a
known-good SMC-34 (or an MFJ or another vendor's speaker/mic which is
compatible with your radio) on your TH-F6A and see if it works any
better.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO