Old November 17th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Battery charger

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I want to add a couple of deep discharge type batteries to my truck
for camping but how do I intermix them with the normal auto battery
and charging system. I was thinking about getting a charger meant for
charging batteries from solar panels and connecting the solar panel
input to the generator. A 20A charger cost about $50USD .This would be
very reasonable if I knew it would work as expected.

Jimmie

If the RV isn't being used all the time the Battery chemistry is less of an
issue. Deep cycles should be charged at roughly no more than 10 amps. and
floated at 13.2 v. But if it is being cycled, the float value is less of an
issue. You will need the long trip to insure it is up for the next stop.

If you are mounting the second battery under the hood, close to the charger,
then it is best to use NR 10 or 12 wire for the charge line to limit the
current and be able to disable the RV relay rather than leave it charging
every day on long commutes. You will need to check the water more often.

I didn't see my earlier post, again DON'T use a solar charge controller as
most regulate by shorting down the solar panel. If the system voltage is
normal, nothing happens. If it should go high for any reason then it would
simply burn out things.