Old November 17th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JIMMIE[_2_] JIMMIE[_2_] is offline

Default Battery charger

On Nov 17, 1:58*pm, Grumpy The Mule wrote:
Howdy,

What type of deep discharge battery do you mean?
Gell vs AGM vs VRLA vs Flooded battery generally
require different care. *

I use low maintenance flooded deep disharge batteries
and charge them at 20% of their AHr capacity rating.
I'd have no worries about mounting one of these remotely
from the alternator (like in the trunk) and letting the
vehicle system charge it.

Gell or AGM I'd charge at 10% capacity or less. *These
would require some current limiting circuit.

The volts per cell for full charge and float charge will be
different too. *Though if you keep the battery between 80%
and 20% of full charge it's not an issue.

73,
Grumpy

JIMMIE wrote in news:8795bf5a-715c-4a24-8290-
:

On Nov 16, 4:42*pm, wrote:
Why not use a traditional split charge relay.
Alternator *output then becomes the limiting factor

I didnt think you could charge a deep cycle battery in an
automotive system without damaging the battery. Its my understanding
that car batteries are designed for a quick charge at realativly high
current while deep cycle batteries require a long low current charge.
To make it work thought you had to have a special charge regulator for
the deep cycle battery.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Im not sure but they are sealed 100Ahr batteries and the max recharge
rate is 10amps so definitly not FLOOD.
I have recharged them from my aux power connector in my truck bed but
this took a lot more care and effort than I wanted to give. Wife and
kid thought I was paying more attention to the batteries than them.. I
thought about feeding them from a constant current source. In this
case it would act more like a current limiter.

Jimmie