Old November 17th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
John Szalay John Szalay is offline

Default new to this - questions

OhioGuy wrote in :

I just saw a Realistic Pro-55 scanner at a thrift store, and was
Not sure if it was worth buying even at
$4, if you can still get crystals, or if everything is encrypted these
days. (and how do you find out what frequency local things are
broadcast on???)

Can anyone tell me - are there better ways to start out at $100 or
less?

Radio shack does NOT carry them in store, however they can be ordered
through them.. International crystal is their supplier..
(IF you are lucky enough to get a GOOD and knowledgeable sale tech..)
Most know nothing about crystals or how to order them anymore)

or go direct to International

http://www.icmfg.com/

and
One source of freq information..

http://www.radioreference.com/

IMHO:
Personaly unless you are a collector, a scanner that old, is
probably useless, due to corrosion and oxidation of the switch surfaces.