Old November 18th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
exray[_4_] exray[_4_] is offline

Default Homebrew breadboard xmtr

wrote:
Hi, Bill.
Indeed it is a great looking project.

I don't see anyone attempting to answer you question about why the
early transmitters always doubled or tripled from stage to stage. As I
recall, this was used to minimize the loading on previous stages as a
subsequent stage was tuned. The loading caused frequency changes. This
was used only on triode tubes. When screen grid stages were used, it
was no longer necessary.

Further research would have shown 160 meter crystals were frequently
used to control 80 meter transmitters. It wasn't just because the
higher frequency crystals were not available. They were just more
expensive.

Again, a great looking project. I do see a modern resister in there,
however.

73's, Paul, KD7HB

Thanks, Paul. There wasn't really a question there other than the
rhetorical observation that 'straight-thru' operation on 7 Mc and above
wasn't the norm. Thats not always clear to the reader in year 2008!

As for the modern resistor...umm, well, there's more than one in there
at this stage of experimentation Will take care of that after
nailing down all of the parameters.

73,
-Bill