Old November 19th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
raypsi raypsi is offline

Default Battery charger

The UC3906 is temp compensated unlike zeners which go up with temp
rise and down with temp decrease. Believe me 1/10 of a volt change
will fawk up the charge rate. Been there done that.

I've quick charged deep cycle marine batteries at work when I forgot
to put my battery on charge on my electric bike. 55 amp in one hour no
problem. Now I was using this my electric bike every day to gits to
work. I got 2 years out of that deep cycle marine battery before my
brushes on my motor were no longer available from Grainger. I didn't
count the times I quick charged the battery at 55 amp rate but it was
quite a few.

If this isn't any everyday thing make it simple, no frilles But a
automotive in car charging system is the worst thing anybody to do to
a battery. I'd let my battery sit on cold concrete before I'd charge
it with an automotive charging system in a car.

73 OM

n8zu

I didnt think you could charge a deep cycle battery in an
automotive system without damaging the battery. Its my understanding
that car batteries are designed for a quick charge at realativly high
current while deep cycle batteries require a long low current charge.
To make it work thought you had to have a special charge regulator for
the deep cycle battery.

'Deep Cycle' batteries should be charged with a current not exceeding
0.1C , *meaning that a 80Ah battery should be charged with a current not
exceeding 8 Amperes.

Frank * KN6WH