Old November 19th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] todddemone@hotmail.com is offline

Default Best Rx $1K for daytime SWL (BBC beam to Africa, etc.)

I live in Ontario, Canada. My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? Or should I get a
better receiver?

If so, what receiver should I buy?

Portable choices:
Sangean ATS-909 (I hear it can handle long antennas)
Eton E1XM

Tabletop choices:
Icom R75
Icom R1500
used Kenwood, Yaesu, etc. (ebay)

PC-controlled choices
Ten Tec Rx-320D

The Icom R75 is a little pricy for me ($700 here in Canada). But if it
is that much better than say, the Eton E1 at fishing out these
broadcast signals then I will seriously consider it.

I'm also a little afraid of buying a PC receiver because I live in a
noisy RF environment. (I like the thought of receiving DRM, though!)

Thanks!