Old November 19th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Drifter Drifter is offline

Default Best Rx $1K for daytime SWL (BBC beam to Africa, etc.)

wrote:
I live in Ontario, Canada. My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? Or should I get a
better receiver?

If so, what receiver should I buy?

Portable choices:
Sangean ATS-909 (I hear it can handle long antennas)
Eton E1XM

Tabletop choices:
Icom R75
Icom R1500
used Kenwood, Yaesu, etc. (ebay)

PC-controlled choices
Ten Tec Rx-320D

The Icom R75 is a little pricy for me ($700 here in Canada). But if it
is that much better than say, the Eton E1 at fishing out these
broadcast signals then I will seriously consider it.

I'm also a little afraid of buying a PC receiver because I live in a
noisy RF environment. (I like the thought of receiving DRM, though!)

Thanks!

I go with John, mount a good antenna. but, i'm not sure what the
front end is like in the 7600. a good receiver is only as good
as the antenna you use. i like the R75, good receiver. and don't
forget the Palstar R30. you can find good receivers on the
used market. just be careful. i would stay away from the E1, too
many returns on this one. you could check the yahoo groups for
info on any model receiver. eham is also good. just remember,
what works for me may not work for you.
in your area, you have a good used list in-
http://www.ontarioswapshop.com/
this list is up dated on Mondays.
good luck.

Drifter...