Old November 19th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] todddemone@hotmail.com is offline

Default Best Rx $1K for daytime SWL (BBC beam to Africa, etc.)

On Nov 19, 12:34*pm, wrote:

It's all to do with having the best antenna you can rig up on your
suburban lot. There are many variations of wire antenna's to try in an
inexpensive experiment, If that doesn't work there are a whole lot of
options on excellent active antenna's.

One of the best combo's is a simple outside wire antenna connected to
the MFJ 1020C as recommended in Passport 2009. Try that before you go
spending big bucks.

Of course a quality tabletop like the Icom R75 will be great, but only
if connected to a good outside antenna or outside active antenna. You
will be surprised what your Sony 7600GR can do with a decent antenna
though.

Good luck and good listening

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx- Hide quoted text -

Thanks John for the quick reply.

I notice the MFJ-1020C has a coaxial (SO-239) output to receiver. My
7600GR has a 1/8" (3.5mm) antenna input. Can I connect the two
together with a short coaxial cable with a coax-to-mini adapter on the
end? Or will the adapter cause some sort of problem (poor reception
or worse, fry my radio)?

I think I saw a coax to mini adapter at Universal Radio's website.

Thanks again.