Old November 19th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Billy Burpelson[_2_] Billy Burpelson[_2_] is offline

Default Best Rx $1K for daytime SWL (BBC beam to Africa, etc.)

wrote:

I live in Ontario, Canada. My goal is to listen to daytime SW
broadcasts beamed to Africa by the likes of BBC, DW, VOA, RNW, etc.

Unfortunately, you have not clearly stated your goals. If you mainly
want to listen to the *content* of the stations you mention and with
100% consistently good 'reception', use you desk top, lap top or wi-fi
radio and listen on the internet (reciva.com is one site that comes to
mind). You can get a great, dedicated wi-fi receiver for around 200
bucks (US). No static, no fading, no interference. All good, all the time.

However, if you want to "play radio" and love the magic of radio, by all
means, go for it. Your 7600 is a nice receiver and a 30 foot random wire
antenna is just fine for your needs.

Right now I have a Sony 7600GR with a few indoor antennas (reel
antenna, ANLP1, etc.). With this equipment it's difficult to get good
reception of these daytime signals.

Again, the 7600 is a good receiver. Hard to do too much better without
spending a -lot- more money.

I plan to install a wire antenna (around 30 feet long), either
outdoors along my 5.5' high wooden fence (I live in the suburbs) or in
my attic.

Either arrangement will be fine. Don't forget -- you say you live in a
noisy RF environment. The better your antenna, the better it will pick
up the signal...AND the noise.

Will a Sony portable and an outdoor/attic wire be enough to get
consistently good reception of these stations? Or should I get a
better receiver?

No, you will not get -consistently- good reception nor will a better
receiver necessarily help. A -significantly- better radio/antenna will
cost a lot more money. Even then, no matter how much money you spend,
you will never get the "*consistently* good reception" you desire. With
radio, you are always at the mercy of the propagation, QRM, QRN and QSB
gods. If 'content' is your primary goal, go with the internet.

Good luck and have fun!