Old November 15th 03, 03:08 AM
Richard Clark

On 14 Nov 2003 18:18:03 -0800, (Art Unwin KB9MZ)
wrote:

Richard, that was a darned good response, clear and to the point,
Makes me feel a bit silly.
Actually Richard this same question has been bothering me for some
time in my modeling,
As you know I am dealing with coupling of radiated circuits. I know
you are not in agreement in what I am doing but that is not important
at this time.
When I realised that one cannot get the Q that one desires it was
really brought home to me what many had said to me about top band and
low efficiencies.
Not only have I had it brought home to me that there is more to an
inductance than I realised but also the difficulties of modeling its
many facets.
The last month or so I have modeled and remodeled my coupling inductor
not only by splitting it up into more than one but also spacing them
out so they represent the actual inductance length plus making the
diameter of those element segments the same as the coil diameter, all
these present different efficiencies tho not by very much . But then
the bandwidth on the model
is much narrower that the actual antenna!. My first reaction is that
the coil is more lossier than the model shows but what it really shows
is that the program can't handle inductances to my satisfaction thus
for me this thread is enlarging my education. So your comments are
very welcome.
Regards
Art

Hi Art,

Modeling is simply a way to take notes that matter. EZNEC has no
settings for words like "miracle gain," and has no multiplier for
"Quantum Electro-Dynamic Tachyons." You pass around models and no one
is confused by what is meant by Source Z. Or if they are, it is an
efficient means for thinning out the herd.

Does your brain fill to overflowing when asked to add all the
reflections in a system? Tell them to show a model and watch their
thumbs burn out flipping pages to their favorite passage in greek.
Lord knows that asking them to step up to the bench has them
struggling to find their crutches.

If I give you grief, you at least know which end of the soldering iron
to pick up. That puts you out 6 sigma from the xerox-philosophers.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC