Old August 18th 03, 11:08 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Ian White, G3SEK"
wrote:

Frank Gilliland wrote:
My point was that the art of homebrewing loses something when it's
reduced to just plugging in a chip. Seems like everyone is ignoring how
the circuits work and taking the 'black-box' approach instead.

[...]
where's the fun in just hooking up power to a chip? That's not
homebrewing, at least not in my book.

Fair enough - only you can decide what you enjoy. When you post to the
group, we know where you're coming from, so we can interpret
accordingly.

But only I can decide what I enjoy, only Harry what he enjoys, and so on
for every individual. Amateur radio and electronics is about doing what
each of us personally likes, not what we "should" or "must".

You are entitled to your own opinions about other people's preferences,
Frank, but it's disrespectful to post them here as personal criticisms
(and it doesn't encourage the rest of us to respect you).

Let me ask you a simple question: Suppose someone buys an SP-600, mounts some
chrome knobs, spray-paints his name on the front panel, then posts on the
newsgroup saying, "Hey, look what I built!" Would you call that "homebrew"?