Old November 22nd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
raypsi raypsi is offline

Default Battery charger

On Nov 19, 1:09*pm, Grumpy The Mule wrote:
Howdy,

There are a of couple newer devices that you might like
even more than the UC3906. *Check out the UC3909
and BQ2031.
73,
Grumpy

Yes indeed the 3909 is a switch mode version of the 3906 and the
BQ2031 is a pulsed version. The 3906 uses a constant current source
and I used 10 amp and mine turned out to be like 9 amps in real life,
I forgot how many feet of 14AWG wire I used for the 10 map sense. Some
say pulsed or pwm is the way to go. Maximizing the PWM to fast charge
a battery would be advantageous. I think that's what they are using in
the hybrid cars.

73 OM
n8zu