Old November 22nd 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default weller EC2002C soldering station

On Oct 31, 5:47 pm, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I was given this Weller soldering station. The display is not working. It
does flash 888 on it when first turned on. The tip does heat up, but I
have
not determined if I can vary the heat or not. Also have an extra
soldering
pencle that plugs in it. Changed them to see if the display would light,
but it did not. Any hints on it ?

Telstar Electronics wrote:
They gave it to you because Weller stuff is junk. I have seen more
Weller soldering stations fail then I care to remember over the years.
Don't spend a lot of time on it. Break down and buy a Hexacon station.
We have four here. They have worked flawlessly for over ten years with
heavy use.

No... they gave it to him because it didn't cost much and was defective. At
my current place of employ, we have many Weller EC-series soldering stations
and over the 6 years I've been there, I've seen only a couple of failures.
In 30+ years in radio/electronics, I haven't seen many failures of these
units. I recently bought a new WES50 for myself and am very satisfied.
Tips are widely available and inexpensive.

Bryan WA7PRC