Old November 22nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JIMMIE[_2_] JIMMIE[_2_] is offline

Default SWR meter

On Nov 22, 3:13*pm, exray wrote:
I've got a cheapo CB swr meter which I thought might be suitable for
some HF QRP work. *Problem is that it is very insensitive on the HF
freqs. *Can't even get more than about 20% of the scale with 5 watts on
40 meters.

It uses a stripline for pickup and I'm wondering if maybe I should
replace that with a broadband toroid configuration. *Any specific
recommendations? *How about adding some gimmick capacitance across the
stripline to increase coupling?

TIA,
Bill WX4A

I would take a look at some DIY projects for SWR meters and see if I
could use the box and meter.
I had the same problem with a meter I bought at a yard sell. I liked
it because it had a big 5" meter and a fairly decent built in 50 watt
dummy load.
Price was right too $1. I rebuilt it per plans in an ARRL pub. This
one had a stripline pickup and there was enough room in the box to
double the length, that was my first consideration, but I ended up
using a toroid transformer instead..

Jimmie