Old November 15th 03, 01:27 PM
Gary S.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:51:24 -0500, "Dave VanHorn"
wrote:

"Dunc" wrote in message
Really???

Gee John that sounds too simple to be true!

But, I'll try it if it works!

Have you used that idea?

For best results, lay the tape our like "X"s with the antenna point in the
middle.
Also, you can glue a steel plate, or even a magmount magnet there, and then
use a mag-mount antenna!

Amaze your friends Magnetic antenna sticks REALLY well to fiberglass

Ideally, a ground plane should have a radius of at least 1/4 the
wavelength being used. For 2M, this would be roughly 19.25 inches.

It need not be solid, and as above, two strips crossing at right
angles, with the antenna mounted in the center, will do reasonably
well.

For some public service events, where hams are assigned to a support
van, some I know have duct taped a metal sheet to the fiberglass roof,
and stuck on a magmount antenna with good results.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA