Old November 23rd 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] plimmer@telkomsa.net is offline

Default Adding Filters to R-5000 Receiver - Where to put them in IF board

On Nov 23, 3:02*pm, Jim wrote:
Let's say you want to add the following filters to the R-5000:

YK-88SN *Narrow Sideband

YK-88C * 500 Hz CW

YK-88CN *250 Hz CW

YK-88A1 * AM Filter

Where would you install the 88C and 88 CN, as the instruction manual
shows the installation of EITHER 88C OR 88CN. *Is it possible to
install both? *If so, where would you put them?

Also, are the 88SN and 88A1 worth the cost, do they materially improve
selectivity? *

Anyone having hands on experience with these filters could you please
advise me?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Frankly Jim, I wouldn't spend a cent on upgrading the R5000. Even with
the better filters it'performence is so far behind modern DSP radio's
that I wouldn't waste my money. I had an R5000 with the upgraded
filters for a couple of years - it never performed very well and after
the keyboard started bouncing for the second time, I got rid of it.

If you want top notch CW performance you couldn't beat an Icom
IC-746Pro - it's CW filtering is awesome. I'm sure there are some good
ones on eBay.

Good luck

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx