Old November 23rd 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rfburns Rfburns is offline

Default Can't wait for ibiquitys inflated Christmas sales figures thisyear!!

On Nov 23, 5:29 pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:
"Hall Monitor2" wrote in message

The bandwidth that it might "screw up" isn't being used for anything
anyway. Like most digitization, is is finding ways to use resources more
efficiently.

It is being "used" by a few hundred old-timers who still like to scan the AM
band, looking for that rare and elusive "catch" from 1000 miles away. They
think their outdated hobby transcends any attempt to make real use of the
bandwidth.

Mind you, their intent is not to actually *listen* to any programs on said
station. It's merely an ego thing - they just want to say "I heard such
and such station". People who actually *listen* to the radio are derisively
called "program listeners" by the "elite" DXers.

Yeah, spinning the dial to see what you could find was cool 40 years ago
when I was a kid, using an old tube radio. But these days it is just
silly. You can "catch" nearly any station in the world these days on the
net. You might as well put up a TV antenna on your roof and go up and
manually spin it around every time you change channels. Or would you
rather have cable/HD/satellite?

There is simply no reason for AM radio to still be noisy/static
filled/fading/generally sounding like crap. If it can't be fixed, then it
should just go away. If it can be fixed, then let's fix it. The current
technology is 100 years old, virtually unchanged. Frankly, its
embarrassing. No wonder kids today have no interest in it.

Bob, Bob, Bob. You're pathetic! Digital doesn't mean better. I'm
embarrased at you!