Old November 24th 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] miso@sushi.com is offline

Default Can't wait for ibiquitys inflated Christmas sales figures thisyear!!

On Nov 23, 1:55*pm, "Hall Monitor2" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 23, 7:18 am, Rfburns wrote:

On Nov 23, 3:45 am, wrote:

On Nov 22, 7:27 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

The last time I looked a few months ago there was still no news
of HD
integrated chips on the web sites of the semiconductor
manufactures that
made press releases to that effect. All I can find are press
releases
that claim future development. I can not find any progress on
those
developments so as far as I know they are all vaporware.

No new HD integrated chips = no new low power designed radios.

If anyone has a link to samples, actual production, or data
sheets of HD
integrated chips please post a link to them.

SiPort SP1010
chiphttp://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210102036

But, it looks like the electric chair for Mr.
RFBurns:http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11027673

I understand that SiPort test engineer Jing Hua Wu flipped out when
told to work on HD radio chips. To quote him - "HD radio is junk
technology. It's a worthless endeavor and I won't do it." The he got
a gun and the rest is history.

Can't blame him for not wanting to do it myself.

The news links you are posting are secure. I can't get to it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

The short story is a test engineer at SiPort killed 3 other employees:
CEO, operations manager, and HR. The reality is the project can go
forward without these people. No flames please. I know the chip
business. This doesn't kill the project presuming the money still
flows.

I worked in one chip company where a designer got hit by a car and
pretty much that killed the design due to temporary amnesia. He
recovered nicely though.

None of this matters as HD radio is dead anyway. Thank God.

Oh, HD is crappy technology for sure. However, they can still deliver
the new chipset. [Silicon Valley is full of "living dead" companies
and technologies. People throw good money after bad in an attempt to
save the initial investment. Venture Capitalists don't understand
technology. They just throw darts. Of course, the one good dart pays
for all the crap they finance and then some.]

It's a shame the radio biz doesn't spend more time on content creation

rather than useless technology.

You are assuming they don't?

Actually, useless is to kind to describe HD since it screws up
conventional radio bandwidth. HD is harmful technology. *

It's called progress.
(I take it your talking about AM HD.)

How is it "useless" to allow multiple streams of programming on the same
station? *That's not useless to me...more channels, more choices.

The bandwidth that it might "screw up" isn't being used for anything anyway.
Like most digitization, is is finding ways to use resources more
efficiently.

The same channel? Now that might be useful. No, IBOC is not on
channel, it used adjacent channels. In the old days, you would get in
trouble if you station had sidebands exceeding your alotted BW. Much
engineering effect went into good bandlimiting.

Programming? Does propping up some right wing loon reading faxes from
the Heritage Society count as programming? Were up to 3rd tier
wingnuts like Rusty Humphries. WIth HD we can get 4th tier wingnuts.
Maybe the Joe the Plumber show.