Old November 27th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
exray[_4_] exray[_4_] is offline

Default Doubling

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:30:24 -0400, exray wrote:

This is a really dumb question but it dawned on me that I did not know
the correct answer.

In terms of old transmitters from the 20s/30s...In a crystal oscillator
I understand the concept of setting the oscillator output tank to
favor the harmonic from the crystal. (Stop me if I'm wrong already...)

You're wrong already, kinda.

Most of the schematics that I've seen from back then have the crystal
oscillating at it's fundamental. If the energy extracted from the
oscillator is at twice the crystal frequency it's because of harmonics
generated in the tube.

Ok, I'll buy that. One description I read of the tritet osc described
it as being an oscillator with inherent class c amplification, hence the
plate circuit being tuned to the desired 'harmonic' and the crystal is
indeed operating at its fundamental freq.

-Bill