Old November 28th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default REQ: Any PCI-slot SW cards?

On Nov 27, 7:43*pm, wrote:
On Nov 27, 5:38*pm, "Colic" wrote:

The WinRadio WR-303i and 313i models are both PCI based RX's
aimed at the SWL user. *The WR-305i and 315i are wider freq range
units that are marketed as "VHF/UHF scanning receiver", but they
also cover the SW range.

As a multiple Winradio user I think they make a good product.

But why do you want a PCI based answer? *A PCI RX is going to
have the same noise problems that the ISA products had. *Inside
a computer case is just a very noisy environment for a radio.

I have two identical RX's, the Winradio WR-1550e and the
WR-1550i. *The only difference between these two is one is
inside a PC and the other is mounted in an external housing. *The
cards are identical other than how/what they are mounted in. *The
external model (WR-1550e) is much more quiet. *It is a better
performer because of that.

After having used a couple of inside the case (both PCI and ISA)
radios I would not again buy one. *The externals are quite small,
and seem to produce a much better result, IMHO.

I recently got the RF-Space SDR-IQ. *It is half the size of a
paperback book and is a _VERY_ impressive performer. *It
often performs on the level of my Yaesu FT-2000. *It connects
to the PC via USB and is not a soundcard dependant SDR.
The SDR-14 is supposed to be even better, but the $500 price
on the SDR-IQ is hard to beat, particularly when you look at the
real world performance.

If you have room for the mouse on your PC you have room for
the SDR-IQ..

C!

"OM" wrote in message

.. .

...Anyone know of any PC-based Shortwave Listening peripherals that
are worth looking at and possibly purchasing? I looked at a couple
about 10-12 years ago that were for ISA-slot PCs, but those didn't do
a great job of isolating RF harmonics created by the CPUs approaching
the 300MHz clock speeds, which seemed to be a major problem according
to the few reviews I read in "PC Rag" and "Computer Shopper"(*). I've
been getting this urge to get back into SWL since losing a leg and
being quite a bit more apartment-bound these days, and figured I'd see
about recycling an old PC into a decent SW rig if there's a good card
to buy.

Hey, it's either that, or get a Cobra CB rig that's been modded for
export sales and rig the mike up to a Sound Blaster...:-)

(*) Back in the days when it was worth reading, and a single issue
could line a birdcage for six months with a twice-a-day change!
OM
--
* ]=====================================[
* ] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld*[

It makes substantially more sense to get a radio outside the PC, if
only to avoid obsolescence. PCI will go the to PCIE eventually. Should
USB become history, there will be legacy converters for a while. But
converting PCIE to PCI is expensive.

I'm not a fan of black boxes. I like a dial and knobs, not sliders. I
occasionally listen in the field,

- so now my play time is determined by the notebook battery life.

You don't have a 12 V DC Power System
for the NoteBook Computer ?