Old November 28th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Colic Colic is offline

Default REQ: Any PCI-slot SW cards?

In my experience with both PCI and ISA based receivers harmonics
are not a problem, at least not any more so than with any other design.
Bleedover is also not a problem, or again not any more so than any
other type of RX.

The basic problem is that inside a PC there are all kinds of native
signals. The various clocks in the system. PCI itself has a 66.666
MHz clock that is divided as needed to do latching/clocking/
synchronization. The FSB of the computer has a clock. The video
card has a clock. The sound card has a clock. etc, etc

No matter what you do to the radio if it is inside the PC case it is
going to be bathed in those frequencies, their harmonics, the
images, etc. You can attempt to shield it, and with enough effort
it can be somewhat successful, but remember that many of those
"problem" frequencies are at or very near frequencies you will be
wanting to receive, ones that you have intentionally made the
receiver very sensitive to. It is always better to _not_ start
with a problem of this nature.

Keeping the RX out of that noisy environment is a good starting
point. LOL However, here at the house I have three radios that
are cards, two ISA's and one PCI, all three are Winradios, one
WR-1000i, one WR-1550i, and one WR-315i. Sometimes they
are the right answer.

C!

"OM" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:38:23 GMT, "Colic" wrote:

But why do you want a PCI based answer? A PCI RX is going to
have the same noise problems that the ISA products had. Inside
a computer case is just a very noisy environment for a radio.

...As I stated, it's a space issue. The real concern is whether
someone managed to come up with a slot solution that somehow addressed
the various bleedover and harmonics issues.

OM