Old November 28th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default Quad and circular polarization

"-.-. --.-" wrote in message ...
Greets OMs,

yesterday i had a QSO with K2US - impressive antenna, by the way i'm using
the station of a local OM near my QTH with a 4 elements 5 band Quad.

The beautiful thing is the 9-9+20 signal around 20.45 UTC, far away in
magnitude from the others stateside signals, around S5-7. So i remember my
father that tell me one day in his opinion the circular polarization in
the better choice... lose no matter about 6 dB, with any kind of
polarization used at the other side except circular - and faraday torsion
due to ionosphere - and in my mind comes 2 questions...

- we take some advantage from the fact that both are using quad antenna ??
- in my non-knowledge of the facts, i have in the past believed that the
quad antenna is near a circular-polarized antenna. Reading books and
hearing some QSO in the air i learn that quad can be horizontal or
vertical polarized, regard the feed point of the quad.. so - the circular
polarization need some kind of "special" feed point or is merely a
"circle" antenna ??

Apologize for the english and for the questions, maybe trivials and
stupids, but i believe one esxperienced OM can say far better than 100
books.

73,

a quad is generally linearly polarized, either vertical or horizontal. to
get circular polarization you need dual driven elements with the proper
phasing.