Old November 28th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge Dave Oldridge is offline

Default Quad and circular polarization

Dave wrote in
:

-.-. --.- wrote:
Greets OMs,

yesterday i had a QSO with K2US - impressive antenna, by the way i'm
using the station of a local OM near my QTH with a 4 elements 5 band
Quad.

The beautiful thing is the 9-9+20 signal around 20.45 UTC, far away
in magnitude from the others stateside signals, around S5-7. So i
remember my father that tell me one day in his opinion the circular
polarization in the better choice... lose no matter about 6 dB, with
any kind of polarization used at the other side except circular - and
faraday torsion due to ionosphere - and in my mind comes 2
questions...

- we take some advantage from the fact that both are using quad
antenna ?? - in my non-knowledge of the facts, i have in the past
believed that the quad antenna is near a circular-polarized antenna.
Reading books and hearing some QSO in the air i learn that quad can
be horizontal or vertical polarized, regard the feed point of the
quad.. so - the circular polarization need some kind of "special"
feed point or is merely a "circle" antenna ??

Apologize for the english and for the questions, maybe trivials and
stupids, but i believe one esxperienced OM can say far better than
100 books.

73,
CQ -.-. --.-

Circular polarization means you have equal H-Pol and V-Pol radiation,
with one polarization 90 degrees ahead (or behind) of the other.

A quad antenna is a folded dipole.

Except the top and bottom arms of a horizontally polarized quad element
are far enough apart to provide some gain and to slightly lower the
pattern from that of a dipole at the quad's central height. In a four or
five element design this can be quite effective. I was on the far end of
the QSO (at VE8ML) back in 1965 when OH8OS tested some very large quads
on 15m. They were impressive.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 454777283