Old November 29th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Quad and circular polarization

Jerry wrote:

Hi Roy

Just for conversation, I submit that an antenna with good hemispheric CP
coverage could be made with 4 dipoles.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Yes, there's the quadrifilar helix which I believe fits that
description. Another, which I built decades ago at 450 MHz, is the "skew
planar" antenna which resembles a cloverleaf but with the "leaves"
rotated 45 degrees. Although I haven't seen either one constructed at
HF, on reflection I don't see any reason you couldn't.

There's still the problem of ground reflection, though. I didn't state
it very well in my last posting -- what I meant was that the sum of the
direct and ground-reflected rays tend to produce a linearly or nearly
linearly polarized wave even when you start out circular.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL