Old November 29th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

Default Quad and circular polarization

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
treetonline...
Jerry wrote:

Hi Roy

Just for conversation, I submit that an antenna with good hemispheric
CP coverage could be made with 4 dipoles.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Yes, there's the quadrifilar helix which I believe fits that description.
Another, which I built decades ago at 450 MHz, is the "skew planar"
antenna which resembles a cloverleaf but with the "leaves" rotated 45
degrees. Although I haven't seen either one constructed at HF, on
reflection I don't see any reason you couldn't.

There's still the problem of ground reflection, though. I didn't state it
very well in my last posting -- what I meant was that the sum of the
direct and ground-reflected rays tend to produce a linearly or nearly
linearly polarized wave even when you start out circular.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Hi Roy

I say with some humor - Have you considered the DCA as described in the
Feb2008 QST? For most conditions the DCA performs better than a
quadrafilar helix and it is much easier to construct.

Jerry KD6JDJ