Old November 29th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Harold E. Johnson Harold E. Johnson is offline

Default Quad and circular polarization

Hi Roy

I say with some humor - Have you considered the DCA as described in the
Feb2008 QST? For most conditions the DCA performs better than a
quadrafilar helix and it is much easier to construct.

Jerry KD6JDJ

No, I haven't built a circularly polarized antenna for over 30 years.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

The conversation reminds me, in 1947, I lived in Dayton, OH. Not far from
Columbus, OH and the home of Kraus. He was the guest speaker one evening at
the Engineers club in Dayton and I attended. He did his usual trick, a 400
MHz tone modulated oscillator and a receiver, both with plain vanilla
dipoles. Spaced across the audfitorium, he would hold up a piece of
cardboard between the two and stop the signal. Then he hooked both to a pair
of his helix antennas and tried but could not stop the signal. Of course, he
had a Faraday shield between TWO layers of cardboard. Some, who had looked
into his background more deeply than I, told him what he was doing. To me it
was remarkable.

NOT more remarkable than a ham in Dayton, call unknown, who had erected a 4
turn square helix for 20 Meters at his home in honor of the occasion. Made
of Aluminum downspout pipe, 16 foot on a side, complete with reflector of
chicken wire and supported on a long length of 2 x 4. Before the days of
CDR, but rotated with a prop pitch motor. I'm not certain of what the
neighbors thought of it, but it sure looked impressive to me at age 22.

W4ZCB