Old December 1st 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default information suppression by universities

On Nov 30, 8:26*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:55:02 -0800, JosephKK
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:00:06 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
Nope. *We will all be promoted to a position of responsibility, where
we will be setup to fail, thus demonstrating that technologists are no
better at running the country than politicians, crooks, bureaucrats,
and thugs.

How very weird. *I am the pretty much acknowledged top technologist in
my workplace. *Yet i cannot get promoted.
YMMV

That's because nobody has found a reason to want you to fail. *There
can be many reasons for this. *Optimistically, you have a well managed
company, that keeps people in positions where they are best suited.
That's rather rare as most companies will follow the Peter's Principle
method of promotion (rise to your level of incompetence). *

Another possibility is that you have successfully eliminated any and
all competition for your position, thus making find a replacement
impossible. *Unless you have a suitable replacement trained and
waiting, most companies will not your promotion to create vacuum. *

In some companies, a promotion is tracked by a raise in salary and
benefits. *In some countries and companies, it's actually impossible
to get a raise without a change of title. *Perhaps your company needs
to manufacture a suitable position and title for your promotion? Note:
Assassinating your boss is not a viable option.

It's also possible that you have hit the glass ceiling, where
promotion is no longer possible. *For example, many family owned
companies will not promote non-family members beyond a certain point.
If you're the wrong race, religion, sex, age, or nationality, you will
have problems getting a promotion. *Same with failing to join the
correct country club, attending semi-mandatory social occasions,
wearing the wrong style clothes, attending the wrong church, and
generally sticking out like a sore thumb. *Conformity pays well.

It's conceivable that you also lack sufficient initiative to obtain a
promotion. *Many managers assume that someone that keeps their mouth
shut, does not need a promotion. *Leaving your resume floating around
your desk is great way to either indicate that it's time to move up or
move out. *Unfortunately, it can also get you fired, so use this trick
sparingly.

Anyway, if you need advice on what NOT to do in order to get promoted,
I have a long list of personal experiences that eventually inspired me
to become self-employed. *I can't say that it was the right decision
from the financial point of view. *However, I can say that I probably
saved a few companies from self destruction by removing myself from
their management structure.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

My best friend H B Mutter N3CBW had a position of one of three
military top judges
where he was on call for any major criminal case which could involve
the maximum
sentence. However as a Judge he had his own ideas of morality that
sometimes clashed
with beaucrasy but he always held to his guns which is why I respected
him so much.
Eventually he was offered a generous retirement based on a perceived
malady, so in the end he won.
This was the only way out available to beaurocracy, the common man
does not have such leverage
and is blown away. He now lies at Arlington cemetary bless his soul, I
miss him so much
Art Unwin KB9MZ.....xg