Old December 1st 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Fry Richard Fry is offline

Default Quad and circular polarization

On Dec 1, 8:15*am, Richard Fry wrote:
On Nov 29, 2:18*pm, Roy Lewallen wrote:

Jerry wrote:
*Just for conversation, I submit that an antenna with good hemispheric
CP coverage could be made with 4 dipoles.

Yes, there's the quadrifilar helix which I believe fits that
description. Another, which I built decades ago at 450 MHz, is the "skew
planar" antenna which resembles a cloverleaf but with the "leaves"
rotated 45 degrees...

Getting back to Jerry's idea - *yes, four linear dipoles can generate
nearly perfect omnidirectional c-pol. *This is a design of Nils
Lindenblad many decades ago, and I've done some NEC-2 modeling of it.
The link below leads to a rendered view of that model.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...adRendered.gif

There's still the problem of ground reflection, though. I didn't state
it very well in my last posting -- what I meant was that the sum of the
direct and ground-reflected rays tend to produce a linearly or nearly
linearly polarized wave even when you start out circular.

This isn't true at least at VHF and UHF, where the ground reflection
mostly just reverses the polarization sense of the incident wave.
This has been demonstrated by the much-improved images seen on analog
TV receivers in city centers when using c-pol transmit and receive
antennas, because multipath reflections ("ghosts") tend to be
suppressed by the receiving antenna.

RF