Old December 4th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave,misc.transport.trucking
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Trucker antenna

On Dec 4, 7:11*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Platt wrote:
I believe that the high (4.1 dB) figure you are quoting is for an
end-fire array, with the two antennas being fed 180 degrees out of
phase. *

Actually 135 degree phasing and a cardioid pattern.
180 degree phasing results in a figure-8 pattern with
3.3 dB gain.

Was out of town during the holidays and didn't realize
that the earlier statement was limited to a side-by-side
configuration.

In a truck-antenna situation this would require placing the antennas
in a front/back arrangement, not side-to-side.

Yes, but what better place than the top of a metal
trailer? Years ago, I helped a CB friend in AZ install
one on his motor home with about 5 foot spacing if I
remember correctly. Measured front to side ratio was
huge.
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

That would be some pretty short antennas on top of a semi trailer.

I had an arrangement like that on a school bus turned RV many years
ago. It worked great until I found a low underpass in Waycross Ga.

Jimmie