Old December 5th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default information suppression by universities

Art Unwin wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:02 pm, "JB" wrote:
So, you're a legend in your own mind. Your reactivity by the way

indicates

No, actually not. However, as your text indicates, I "AM SOMETHING" you
don't see in your ghetto, thanks for the "heads-up." People DO tend to
be a product of their environment ... again, reflected in your text.
Regards,
JS

Environment's no excuse for bad behavior, but it is often the case. Maybe
you haven't seen any miracles in yours. They can be found even amongst
great turmoil and evil. Try to get out of your comfort zone and travel
some, even spend some time in other cultures. Jails of Mexico, Beverly
Hills, anywhere. It can be a better teacher than the classroom. I can pray
that you're eyes be opened to what you can't see.

What on Earth is going on here? So you have a conflict?
What do you both want of each other so this can be put aside
if you so wish?
The subject was that many technical people are getting laid off.
This removes them from access to public university white papers.
After a year or so they will be encouraged to look for a alternative
career
They then find that that University white papers are not open source
to facilitate recomended change
Universities widen the Rust Belt towards both coasts. Universities
decline in services without public funds
Universities react and recruit teachers from India to prevent furthur
spread of the Rust Belt but efforts to late.
America becomes the latest Empire to bite the dust as a Mexican
becomes P=resident and encourages change
over from corn to hemp and all are happy overnight. The audacity of
hope fades away.

Phew! Stop to catch your breath Art. 8^)

Actually, I wondered what this thread was all about.

So I'll bite.

Much of what is out there is free for all.

But the source of the money for research is often from companies who
are using the research to enhance their companies position in the
marketplace.

Now we can discuss how much of a public university is actually public,
and whether or not it should all be public or not, but the background
has shifted.

Once upon a time, industry funded an amount of their assets toward
research. As time went on, some folks decided that that research money
was wasted, and was better spent giving back to the shareholders. That
was a smart move - if you couldn't see past the end of your nose.

So after it was seen that wrecking your R and D department was a great
way to become a technological backwater, they started looking for a less
expensive way to get research done. The answer was the universities. So
here we are. We can argue about whether or not it should be all open
source or not, but from industries perspective, not having the research
open to all makes sense.

Needless to say, a one paragraph dissertation of the situation is
necessarily truncated as all hell....

Not to say one way is better than any other, although personally, I
kind of liked the older paradigm of company based R and D. But the new
method sends money to the universities.

- 73 de Mike N3LI - da village idiot.........