Old December 5th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default information suppression by universities

Michael Coslo wrote:

So after it was seen that wrecking your R and D department was a
great way to become a technological backwater, they started looking for
a less expensive way to get research done. The answer was the
universities. So here we are. We can argue about whether or not it
should be all open source or not, but from industries perspective, not
having the research open to all makes sense.
- 73 de Mike N3LI - da village idiot.........

Excellent point Mike.

When I returned to bring my degree up, the department received quite a
chunk of money from the military, and a military contractor, for
research into weapons targeting.

A sane mind does need to be in control and differentiate between TRUE
"public knowledge" and non-public knowledge ...

And, a public college should refrain from getting into the position of
competition with private industry (or, even influencing competition in
public industry)--EVEN if the money and perks are tempting. We used to
have men of such high standards, morals and ethics involved that there
was little if any controversy ... :-(

Regards,
JS