Old December 5th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Henry Kolesnik Henry Kolesnik is offline

Default I.F.Transformers?

Hey JB
I assumed since the query was in this group it wouldn't be a FT-1000 and
not an AA5 because it has only one IF. It would be nice to know what
radio but anxious people making queries and get carried away and I'm
one..
Hank
"JB" wrote in message
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Henry Kolesnik wrote:
The secondary of the IF xfmrm feeding the diode will have a
different
winding than the first two. My transformer theory is not up to
snuff,
I'm 68 and if I recall correctly a diode has a much lower input
impedance that has to be matched so I'm guessing it will have less
turns. Remember that a transformer reflects the impedance back.
You may want to get a copy of The Radiotron Designers Handbook by
Langford, it covers just about anything you would want to know about
tube radios, over 1000 pages.

The over 1000-page one is the Fourth Edition, which is the most
expensive
on the used market, and the one which has the most hi-fi information
in
it.

The discussion of IF strip design is also in the smaller and much
less
expensive Third Edition. Some people like the third edition because
it
has some information on transformer design which was not carried into
the fourth.

A copy of the fourth edition is available online he
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/RDH4.html
--scott

It would certainly help to see the schematic before jumping to
conclusions.
There are many designs out there between American 5 and FT1000D, and
you
don't specify.