Old December 6th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Henry Kolesnik Henry Kolesnik is offline

Default I.F.Transformers?

Colin
I'm curious as to how you know what Rx Theo was asking about since I've
not seen it mentioned?

--
Thanks & 73
Hank WD5JFR
"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
m...
The particular receiver Theo was asking about uses a 6SQ7 dual-diode,
triode as a diode detector. I found it in the 1950 Radio Amateur's
Handbook.

The schematic may be a bit misleading, though, since it shows a
schematic of the diode transformer that is the same as an if
transformer - which is tuned primary and tuned secondary - with the
full winding on the secondary used for the diode. I found this
concise statement in the 1942 Editors and Engineers Radio Handbook
"Diodes load the tuned circuit to which they are connected, however,
and thus reduce selectivity slightly. Special i.f. transformers are
used for the purpose of providing a low-impedance input circuit to the
diode detector."

If I were winding the i.f. transformer, I would use a hi-q secondary
and tap down for the diode, so that selectivity is maintained, while
properly matching the diode input impedance. That may be how the
transformer is connected, although it does not show that on the
schematic.

Colin K7FM