Old December 8th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default Beyond the Fairness Doctrine

wrote:
On Dec 8, 12:26 am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Even if it did, it would not affect talk shows. Talk has been primarily
conservative since it's inception, and was so during the reign of the
doctrine. I don't recall a single talk station (and I used to listen to
several back in the day) that fell afoul of the doctrine.

I remember the same. I remember WCBM radio in Baltimore going to a far-
right talk format around 1983. The only thing I really remember about
the Fairness Doctrine was on TV when their producer would give a
political opinion, and then someone from the public would be given
equal time to oppose that opinion.

Gone are the days of Rush Limbaugh being on shortwave... remember
that?

The question is though, why has AM liberal talk radio been such an
epic failure? Myself I think it's two fold, most liberals get their
news and opinions elsewhere & AM radio listening audience tends to be
older and/of blue collar.

Your premise is flawed. Progressive Talk does better than Sports in
most markets. Ed Schultz beats Sean Hannity in some towns.

Usually the hate radio is on flamethrowers and the Progressive Talk is
on the regional or local channels.