Old December 9th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ginu Ginu is offline

Default confusion about path loss calculation for zigbee

Thanks Jeff for your reply. Below are my comments:

You seem to be missing the noise figure of the receiver in the calculation,
and making assumptions about the receiver noise bandwidth that may not be
correct.

The overall receiver noise figure is included in the receiver
sensitivity, is it not? I'm referring to http://www.edn.com/article/CA6442439.html
where they state that:

"the receiver sensitivity S=–174 dBm/Hz+NF+10logB+SNRMIN, where –174
dBm/Hz is the thermal noise floor, NF is the overall-receiver-noise
figure in decibels, B is the overall receiver bandwidth, and SNRMIN is
the minimum SNR. If the total path loss between the transmitter and
the intended receiver is greater than the link budget, loss of data
ensues, and communications cannot take place. Therefore, it’s
important for designers developing end systems to accurately
characterize the path loss and compare it with the link budget to
obtain initial estimations of the range."

Do you have any comments on this?

If you know the rx sensitivity is -94dBm at the data rate you require, why
go through all of the Shannon stuff, it is not revenant. You have been told
that the Rx sensitivity is -94dBm use that figure.

That requires a long-winded answer about my project. My study involves
optimizing a multiple technology network where each device is
optimizing their transmission. Using the Shannon theorem allows me to
perform this optimization of data rate while considering physical
layer constraints. It's something I have to work into it
unfortunately. It's functioning correctly for WiMax and ultrawideband
technology.

-94 dBm = P_required + G(2.4E9, 500)

P_required is then easily calculated as -94 dBm - G(2.4E9, 500) =
0.0254 dBm. This translates to a transmit power of 1 mW. This required
power is LARGER than the maximum permissible power to transmit at 250
kbps, which is the maximum data rate for Zigbee. So how does this make
sense?

Perhaps because most quoted ranges for Zigbee are in the order of 50m not
500m????

The approximate line-of-sight range for Zigbee is 500m. That's why I
tested both 300m and 500m in my calculations.

Testing other distances, say 300m, we get a maximum transmit power Pt
= 5.9181e-007 = 0.59 uW to transmit at 250 kbps, but a P_required =
-4.41 dBm = 3.6211e-004, which is our maximum transmit power Pt.

How is -4.41dBm greater than 0dBm (1mW) ?? It is about 0.362mW.

I meant that, for my example using a distance of 300m, the transmit
power required to transmit at the maximum data rate of 250 kbps was
0.59 uW. The required power to reach the MIRS at the receiver 300m
away was 3.6211E-4. Therefore, the amount of power required to reach
the receiver (a lower bound on power) was greater than the maximum
power allowed to reach the max data rate of 250 kbps (upper bound on
power). Therefore, the transmission isn't possible. It wasn't for 0
dBm.

Your maths is quite simple; you have the rx sensitivity, and can work out
the path loss, thats all you need to do, take one from the other and you
have the required tx power.

That's exactly what I'm doing. The NF is included in the receiver
sensitivity and the transmit power required to reach the receiver
sensitivity is greater than the power I'm allowed to transmit at
because of the 250 kbps maximum for the technology.

Thanks Jeff. I'd be interested in hearing your response.