Old December 10th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JIMMIE[_2_] JIMMIE[_2_] is offline

Default "Dual crimp" coax connectors?

On Dec 10, 9:58*am, "JB" wrote:
Any time you nick a solid copper wire it will be severely weakened and
will likely break.

Dittos, can short internally too.

If it is anything important, the cable should be swept or at least checked
for return loss at a higher frequency. *Just in case the parts were
mismatched out of the bag. *Quality control can be a batch problem even in
the high end stuff. *Good help is hard to find.

I learned to make cables while assisting installation of a Doppler VOR
facility . We were sweeping the pre-made cables that came with the
system and finding a lot of them bad. We cut open a few of the bad
cables and founnd the center conductor was not in the center of the
cable. All of a couple of hundred cables had to be remade and cut for
proper phase. The other grunt worker Dust Craig and I became very
proficient at putting N connectors on RG-214 and using a vector
voltmeter.

Jimmie