Old December 13th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default 6L6 substitute

Tim Wescott wrote:
ken scharf wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:23:48 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:

After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitue for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would
have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits from
each
other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions would be
appreciated.

Jimmie

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet -- 2E26. The 807 is _not_ a 6L6 in
a different envelope -- it's quit arguably the 6L6's big brother, but
it's got different ratings; it could probably be shoe-horned into a
circuit designed for the 6L6, but you'd be missing out on about 6dB
of final output power.

The 807 IS a 6L6G with a 5 pin base and the plate connected to the top.
The published ratings of the 6L6G look different than the 807 because of

-- snip --

The type 1614 is a metal tube based on the 6L6. It is a transmitting
version, and probably has additional shielding. Otherwise its internal
structure is the same as the 6L6 metal type.

How is the 6L6 metal type different internally from the 6L6G?

I've never xrayed or took a 6L6M apart. However the 6L6M would have
shorter leads and different inter-electrode capacitance specs due to the
metal envelope and the shorter leads. Also the metal envelope might
lead to a lower max plate voltage rating due to the danger of arc-over
to the envelope (which is connected to pin 1 for ground/shield). The
glass envelope version of the tube has more electrical insulation in
this regard. The 1614 is a transmitting version of the 6L6M. Other
than being spec'ed for ICAS operation and *maybe* having additional
internal shielding it's identical to the 6L6M.