Old December 14th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SC Dxing SC Dxing is offline

Default Best Up to date Shortwave frequencies

On Dec 13, 6:30*pm, msg wrote:
SC Dxing wrote:
The [Premium-Rx] mailing list is quite active and its participants
have a significant variety of domestically made quality receivers
both classic and contemporary. There seems to be sufficient markets
military, gov't., commercial and personal to support domestic
manufacture of high-end receivers.

I have to disagree in a polite way. If the market was large, more
brick & mortar retailers would carry the higher end receivers. It's a
niche market at best. Even the Grundig G5, G6, 350 are only carried at
Radio Shack. Nothing above that.

Best Buy and Circuit City didn't carry a single shortwave anymore
except for the "emergency" radios. Walmart doesn't even bother with
them. I remember Radio Shack used to have an entire section for
shortwaves including table top models. I don't even think Radio shack
sells a specific shortwave antenna anymore.

Just reading around the web, (which might not mean much), seems like
all the higher end portables are duds or spotty quality.. E1, Satelitt
750, etc a love/hate relationship...

Right now I am happy with my Grundig G6, the only real downside is the
sound quality isn't great, but it's a small unit so that was expected.
It sounds good via the headphones though. Although I didn't care much
for the feel of the 350, I might get it for the speaker quality alone.