Old December 14th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jgboyles@aol.com is offline

Default NEC2 model of 40m loaded cubical quad

On Dec 14, 11:16�am, Scott M wrote:
Hi - I am trying to play around with modeling a loaded 40 meter
cubical quad. To start I made a single �loop the size I wanted (about
2/3 full size) - I then looked at the impedance on 7.1Mhz. I added a
load (inductance) to bring the loop to resonance on 7.1Mhz. I then
created some parasitic elements - a director and reflector. I used the
same value load for these elements. Now, can I just adjust the lengths
of the wires to tune the feedpoint impedance and directivity and leave
the value of the load alone? Or is there some reason I will need to
adjust those values too? �I placed the load opposite the feedpoint,
FYI.

-Scott, WU2X

Hi Scott, Seems to me since this is a quad that your goal is maximum
gain or F/B. As such, I would adjust the loads and element spacing
keeping the element lengths constant, until you have the current
distribution in the elements optimum for your goal. Then check the
source impedance, and if it is not too bad, devise a way to match.
Suggest that instead of a single load opposite the source, use two
loads, should help with current distribution. Good luck.

Gary N4AST