Old December 16th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
radioguy radioguy is offline

Default KB9RQZ blog should be titled LID SPOT for LIDS Rule Amateur Radionowadays!

On Dec 15, 2:03*am, OM wrote:
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:03:19 -0800 (PST), radioguy

wrote:
At least cbers agree on what the proper CB protocols are nationwide

...WHAT protocols? "Break One-Nine", "Big Ten-Four" and "You've got a
Smokey at mile marker..." and that's about it.

* * * *

exactly. The hams can't even agree on whether Breaker to just break
into a conversation is acceptable or not. The hams in my area have
been using Breaker that way even BEFORE CB radio was ever made into a
radio service.

While hams in other parts of the country say Breaker is to only be
used to mean you have an emergency, and that anyone using it just to
break into a conversation is a clueless newbie or a clueless cber who
brought it over from the CB band and don't know anything about the
proper ham radio protocols.

My questions: How could they have broyght it over from CB when they
were using it that way here (to just break into conversations just to
talk) BEFORE CB ever even existed?

How can they be newbies to ham radio when they were using it that way
on ham radio here BEFORE CB ever even existed?

How can they nott know anything about proper ham radio protocols when
they were using these ham radio protocols this wayBEFORE CB ever even
existed?

Also here, they say "good amateur practice" is to always say "clear"
right before signing off if no one answers you or even making a test
by yourself
so that everyone will know you're done and not be waiting around
wondering whether you're done or not.

And that it's being a lid and "bad amateur practice" if you don't say
"clear" before doing so.

The Utah lids list says that it's good amateur practicee to never say
"clear" before signing off and that it's being a lid and "bad amateur
practice" to sy "clear" before signing off if no one answers you or
you're making tests by yourself.

What hams here say is a violation of FCC rules is what the hams in
Utah say should always be done.

And what the hams in Utah say is a violation of FCC rules is what the
hams here say should always be done.

So much for my plans of using ham radio while travelling the country.
If I diddn't have the internet, which I once didn't and probably won't
again sometime in the future, I wouldn't have known about the
differences there and would most likely have gotten hit by the FCC
with a very heavy fine I can't afford for "bad amateur radio
praactice" thinking I was following "good amateur practice" since
Utah's "bad amateurt practice" is considered "good amateur practice
here" and Utah's "good amateur practice" is considered "bad amateur
practice" here.

99 percent of the things on the Utah lids list was completely the
opposite way it is here.

Even though we're in the same country.

Just not the same state.

Now I'm not saying all CBers are perfet either.There's definitely some
jerks on CB radio and definitely some jerks on ham radio. But they
seem to be in the minority on both services. At least around here.

However, even the CB jerks agree with the decent CBers on what the
proper CB protocols are. The CB jerks justknowingly ignore the proper
protocols .