Old December 17th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.scanner
radioguy radioguy is offline

Default Palmdale California To Pass Anti Ham Radio Law

On Dec 16, 7:50*pm, 807breath wrote:
Hams are kooks. Hope they do it. Just listen to 14.275 any weekend.
Justification 4 the same.

okay. If I was a ham living in Palmdale, California right now, I would
do this kooky thing.

The proposed law says antennas are not allowed to be one inch over the
roof line at all.

And unless I'm mistaken, I think it says antennas on portable ht's are
exempt from the antenna laws.

So I wonder how Palmdale would like itt if I sat on top of my roof
with a portable ham HT in my hand, talking on it, in which case the
antenna on it
would be MORE than one inch above the roof line of the house.

Hey, they did say portable ham HT's are exempt from the law, unless I
misread something.

When you're not allowed any antenna towers over one inch above the
roof line, what better way to get better reception than to talk on
your HT while
sitting on top of your roof?

hmmm... another idea. I guess there is a better way. Nope. I thought
of using an extension cord to set your base/mobile rig on top of the
roof using a
mag mount antenna on a pizza pan, while talking on it, but base/mobile
rigs aren't exempt from Palmdale's laws and would count as an illegal
antenna over one inch above the roof line.

Back to the talking on a portable HT while you're sitting on top of
the roof of your house.

I wonder how Palmdale would like those aesthetics.

Of course they'll probably still try to get you for having an antenna
over one inch above the roof line.

But you can then show them their ordinance that says HT's are exempt.

However, a ham winning against them in court when they revoked his
permit for an antenna two years after they gave him one.. is what
prompted them to try to pass this latest proposed ordinance to
eliminate all ham radio they can.

At least that's what several people have said.