Old December 17th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Would a discone cover all the US TV broadcast Freqs?

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack
of gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles
of a couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

It probably won't take too much antenna of anykind to get the digital
signals. I bought a converter for an old set and hooked it to a 432 antenna
about 20 feet off the ground and got about 20 stations. Then hooked it to
a M2 9 element 2 meter horizontal beam at 60 feet and got 29 stations on
autotune. I am probably 20 miles or more from the nearest station . More
like 30 or 40 miles from most.