Old December 18th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL Newbies : Writing Shortwave Radio Reception Reports (SWR3s)and Obtaining QSL Cards

On Dec 18, 5:53*am, Dave wrote:
dxAce wrote:

I can't recall any reports that I've sent out using SINPO or SIO. I generally
just say that conditions were poor, conditions were good, I was hearing you very
well, reception was difficult, etc.

Many, if not most, station technicians would have no clue what SINPO
means. *They rarely ever see a transmitter. *And, as 'dwardo points out,
don't care about coverage beyond the city limits.

For One and All -wrt- The Use of SIO Codes :

If nothing else SINPO Codes and more importantly
SIO Code "Numbers" can act as a 'short-hand' in
your Radio Reporting [Notes] or the Logs for you
immediate 'impression' of the Radio Signal's Quality
via the "SIO Code" :
http://www.alfalima.net/pirateinfo-sio-sinfo.htm
S = Signal Strength
I = Interference Level
O = Overall Merit
such as : 5s, 434, 354, etc

S-Meter Reading : Solid S9 & SIO 555 or 5s
S-Meter Reading : S6~S9 & SIO 434
S-Meter Reading : S4~S6 & SIO 345

RHF's Shortwave Listening (SWL) Log
[ Six Entries to a Page ]

Frequency ___,______ kHz UTC Time __ : __
Language : Eng - Span - Other _____________
Station ID Info __________________________
_______________________________________
[ ] Male - [ ] Female / [ ] Talk [ ] Music-Singing
S-Meter S-Units : S__ ~ S__ + ___dB
Sound Quality : Faint - Weak - Poor - Fair -
Good - VG - Excel {Circle One}
SIO : Signal ___ Interference ___ Over-All ___
Program Name Talk / Discussion or Magazine

For me it helps to 'focus' my scribbling and acts
as a reminder as to what i need to record and
creates consistency in what i generally record.

some things you don't do for others
you simply do them for yourself ~ RHF