Old August 31st 03, 05:09 PM
Fred McKenzie

I would like to put together a very simple QRP CW transceiver. The schematic
I am using includes a 3.560MHz crystal oscillator.

Maplin's, Farnell etc. sell 3.579545MHz or 3.686400MHZ crystal oscillators
respectively and I am wodering will these do the job or should I be looking
for a 3.560MHz crstal? The circuit does have a 65pF trimmer capacitor for
tuning but I want to sure about the crystal before I order.

Chris-

I suggest you get a collection of crystals. I don't think you want a custom
oscillator module unless it offers the option of changing crystals.

You should be able to find an inexpensive 3.579545 MHz "colorburst" crystal at
Radio Shack. Your 65 pF capacitor may not quite pull it down to 3.560, but it
might. Try it and see how it works.

Are there any upcoming hamfests in your area? There was one this weekend
Shelby, NC. In a couple more there is one in Melbourne, FL. These are usually
good sources for miscellaneous crystals.

73, Fred, K4DII