Old December 23rd 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave
radioguy radioguy is offline

Default Want to REALLY annoy your HOA???

On Dec 16, 10:44*am, DougC wrote:
radioguy wrote:
Hams, and Cbers, want to really annoy your HOA?

Use a CB HT.

I just found this rule:

"There are no height restrictions for antennas mounted on vehicles or
for hand-held units (CB Rule 8)."

I was at the local electronics place for something to use for a
random-wire and mentioned that I couldn't put up any kind of permanent
SW receiver antenna. The guy there said one customer was in the same
situation, living in an apartment. His solution was to do only mobile
equipment, and he had dumped quite a bit of money into gear in his car.

Well, from what I and other people saw in Palmdale's ordinace, it
looks like they're outlawing mobile use of ham radio also.

And I know that according to it, the ordinance gives Palmdale the
authority to tell you how mucch power you are and aren't allowed to
run while transmitting on your ham radio.

I thought only the FCC had that authority.

How can Palmdale legally require you to not transmit over three watts
when the FCC clearly says you can legally transmit with up to one
thousand five hundred watts.

How can Palmdale legally say you're not allowed to transmit with one
thousand five hundred watts when the FCC clearly says you are legally
allowed to???

* ----

The only way I could see doing this, was if you bought a smaller camper,
and put all your gear into that, with some kind of pop-up mast. Then you
could drive out to a rural area and have a comfortable, RF-noise-free*
radio shack to have your fun.

*(if you stuck to 12V gear, no 115v invertors)

~