Old December 23rd 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
PocketRadio PocketRadio is offline

Default What's this? ...... No HD Radio!

On Dec 23, 12:05*pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:
wrote in message

Must be very depressing for you this Christmas Booble Struble. I went
to a very busy Best Buy yesterday. *People everywhere. *Products and
displays flashing here and there. *Lots of technology in the air.
Sound and noise from every direction. *But….. What’s this? *NO HD
RADIO ANYWHERE. * NOTHING.

More to the point - were there ANY radios at all? * *How many AM/FM/CD
boomboxes? * How many AM/FM/SW portables? * How many MP3 players with at
least an FM tuner?

20 years ago there would have been a decent section of radios. * 40 years
ago a very large section of radios. * 60 years ago even small towns had
entire stores that sold only radios.

Now there *might* be a couple of shelves of pocket/headphone style radios,
and few boomboxes. * See a pattern here?

VERY good point - Radio Shack is hardly a "radio shack", anymore. This
Crawford Broadcasting engineer said the same thing:

"Crawford Broadcasting: The Local Oscillator"

"Whatever happened to the big HD-R receiver rollout at Wal-Mart?...
This rollout has not happened in Western New York, and chances are,
not in your market either. In fact, recently while Christmas shopping
with my wife, I stopped in several national chain electronics
retailers inquiring about HD-R receivers. Of the three I checked,
Circuit City, Best Buy and Radio Shack, only one had an HD receiver in
stock, and it was not even displayed along with all of the other
receivers offered for sale. First off, I think that Ibiquity has done
a poor job of educating the public on this medium. In just about all
of the nationally distributed magazines, you will find advertisements
for Sirius/XM radio subscriptions on a continuing basis, but none for
HD-R... Someone has to pick up the ball and get the public educated
and interested in HD-R, or 1,797 stations have made a very poor
investment into the future of radio."

http://tinyurl.com/927svj

Eduardo - do you have anything to add?